And how can it help alleviate back pain?
Chiropractors are health care specialists trained in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal and nervous system disorders. They use hands-on techniques including spinal manipulation, massage, and other conservative treatments to relieve pain. The word chiropractic comes from the Greek words, “kheir” which means hand and “pracktikos” meaning practice. Thus, it means the practice of the hands.
Chiropractic care began in 1895 under the guidance of Daniel David Palmer. A janitor had “popped’ something in his back which caused pain and hearing loss. After adjusting the janitor’s spine, hearing was restored. Palmer soon realized the potential of spine adjustments and began to organize them into a system of practice to help others.
35 million Americans are treated by chiropractors every year. There are over 70,000 chiropractors licensed in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Discover Chiropractic is the number one choice for many people seeking chiropractic care in Austin, TX.
- The diversified technique is a gentle technique that helps relieve neck and back pain by using the hands to engage tender joints.
- The Logan basic technique adds pressure to the base of the spine to align the spine and alleviate headaches and lower back pain.
- The Gonstead technique uses x-rays to pinpoint pain problems in the spine for an accurate chiropractic adjustment.
- The Activator method employs an instrument targeting the spinal vertebrae or joint for the purposes of restoring movement to the affected areas.
- Flexion-distraction helps treat herniated discs, facet joint pain, scoliosis, and other conditions. This technique requires gentle stretching from a chiropractic table.
Back pain is something that will impact 8 out of 10 people at some point in their lives. Often, the lower back is the area that is most affected. While back pain can go away after a period of time has passed, for many, it lingers and can even become chronic, lasting months or years.
The Journal of the American Medical Association published a study with evidence that suggested chiropractic spinal manipulation can offer those who suffer from back pain an effective treatment plan that does not involve additional drugs, such as opioids and painkillers.
Dr. Brian Clark of Discover Chiropractic in Austin, TX says, “We seek to help patients improve their quality of life by offering an alternative treatment plan to taking medication. This allows people to function better and live a healthy lifestyle. By improving spinal mobility, we can help relieve pain even better than traditional medicine.”
Patients who had received chiropractic care spent a median cost of $712 compared to $1,992 spent by those choosing treatment from a different medical provider.
Infographic source: https://backernation.com/